Sunday, July 31, 2011

I have a dilemma...

I'm currently in the works of planning a day out and a possible "pajama party" (what Koreans refer to as a sleepover) outside of the hakwon with some of my students.
From my experience at the hakwon, I realized that I don't really have the chance to get to know my students at a deeper level. Granted, teachers don't have the responsibility to transform a student's life and it's definitely not realistic to do that for all of their students.
I have 76.
Well now 74, and slowly but surely decreasing as we speak...since Korean moms love to "taste-test" hakwons....
Anyway, my dilemma is....is it okay for me to do this??
The idea just came about very naturally. Some of my students, especially the girls, love to chit-chat and tell me stories, but frankly, we don't have time to do that. Class time isn't even enough for the work we need to cover and if we do have time left, we can't just sit there and talk. The mom's will go crazy if they see the students (through the video recordings...our classes are recorded) with their books unopened, they'll complain f'sho.
And more importantly, I really want to make myself available to these kids, especially the 6th graders. They're at a crossroads where they're entering a rough six years of intense studying and yet they're not preparing themselves at all. It very much resembles senioritis.......
Plus, one of the mother's had suggested to me that she'd love to see some kind of mentor ship for her daughter, which I expressed that I would love that for myself as well.
So really, this could go both ways: either become an opportunity that opens doors for many more teacher-student relationships or...drama. Drama among the teachers, from the possible misunderstanding that I'm setting a level that they might feel forced to meet and that I'm trying to win the students' hearts, and even drama among the students that I'm being exclusive/partial.
I definitely can't do this with all of my students...there's just some that I'd love to invest in and can see us getting along very well.
Well, we'll see how it goes. The water's already been spilled. I told the five students to ask their parents about how they feel about this proposal. :)
I'm just gonna be optimistic, and believe that this is the beginning of something good.







{eSeul}

No comments:

Post a Comment